Port Freeport is located on the in southwestern coast of Texas 60 miles south of Houston on the Gulf Intracoastal Waterway. It is part of the Houston-Sugarland-Baytown Metropolitan Area. Part of today’s Brazosport industrial complex, it was originally developed to be a deepwater port.
The treaty ending the Texas Revolution was signed in the nearby town of Velasco, which was annexed into the Port of Freeport in 1957. In 2000, almost 13 thousand people lived in the Port of Freeport. The area was settled in 1898 but not officially founded until 1912 by commercial interests wanting to exploit the local sulfur deposits.
Today’s Port Freeport’s economy is based on the processing and export of gasoline and chemicals. It also supports a sizeable commercial shrimp fishing industry and is home to one of the largest shrimp-trawler fleets in the world. Immediately to the east is a large saltwater conversion plant.
Port Freeport’s major employer is Dow Chemical, operating a large chemical plant there since 1939.
Review and History Port Commerce Satellite Map Contact Information