The Port of Conneaut is located on the shores of Lake Erie in Ashtabula County, Ohio, on the State's border with Pennsylvania. The Port of Conneaut is about 60 nautical miles (108 kilometers or 67 miles direct) northeast of the Port of Cleveland. The Port of Conneaut is also about 135 nautical miles (243 kilometers or 151 miles direct) east of the Port of Toledo. In 2010, the US Census reported a population of over 12.8 thousand in the Port of Conneaut.
The Port of Conneaut is on the mouth of the United States' most productive steelhead trout stream, Conneaut Creek, and it is a popular destination for recreational fishers. The Port of Conneaut has a diverse industrial base that includes manufacturers of fiberglass and plastic products, automotive parts, lighting equipment, and window coverings. Since the mid-1900s, the Port of Conneaut has been the base for several vineyards and wineries in the area.
The Port of Conneaut is located on a trail used by Native Americans and, later, pioneers moving west. In 1747, the Port of Conneaut was the site of a Mississauga village. The Mississauga are a sub-tribe of the Anishinaabe-speaking First Nations people of southern Ontario, Canada, and they are related to the fourth biggest nation in the United States, the Ojibwe.
In the late 18th Century, Moses Cleaveland led other representatives of the Connecticut Land Company to the future Port of Conneaut, where they established a temporary settlement called Fort Independence. By 1799, the harbor supported a permanent settlement.
During the 19th Century, the Port of Conneaut was a busy shipping center for grain, whiskey, and forestry products.
By the early 20th Century, the Port of Conneaut was prosperous. Until 1964, the Port of Conneaut was known as Salem, and the area around it was called Lakeville. In 1953, the Port of Conneaut was the site of a three-train collision that took 21 lives. The Port of Conneaut is a mix of rural farmland and urban areas.