The Haapsalu Yacht Club Ltd. owns the Port of Haapsalu Jahtklubi, which is owned by the Port of Parnu Ltd. Vesivarav Ltd. operates the Port of Haapsalu Jahtklubi, where Yacht Club guests will find 40 moorings at depts. from 1.9 to 2.5 meters. Access to the marina is through an 805-meter channel that is 15 meters wide and 2.5 meters deep. Moorings are distributed one-half to local boats and one-half to visitors.
Haapsalu is a resort on Estonia’s west coast. Known for centuries for its warm water and curative muds, it is known as the “Venice of the North.” The town was chartered in 1279, and buildings from its early years survive today. One of its most popular landmarks is the Haapsalu Castle.
Locals have long claimed curative powers of the sea mud at Haapsalu. In 1825, Dr. Carl Abraham Hunnius established a mud cure resort there. Russian aristocrats from Saint Petersburg quickly discovered the resort. People from around the world still come to Haapsalu for medical treatments at one of the three mud cure establishments operating today.
During the 19th Century, the Haapsalu was famous for the shawls made by local women. From the 13th Century until 1944, Haapsalu was home to a large Swedish population. At the end of World War II the Swedes were evacuated from the city.
Just 99 kilometers from the Port of Tallinn, Haapsalu is home to about 12 thousand people today. It is a seaside resort full of quaint homes and its own beach.
Travelers wanting to visit Haapsalu by sea can find a list of scheduled cruises to nearby Tallinn on the Cruise Compete website.